Skip to main content

So, You want to be an Entrepreneur - Turning your Idea into a Business - Part 1

So, you want to be an entrepreneur.  It's intriguing, it's sexy, it's the dream to be the captain of your ship!  At least that is what they say ... Now, how to take that little idea and turn it into a viable business.  This is part 1 in this series, and please know that these are my ideas, suggestions, but this is the real world, and this is not a guarantee that you will be successful in your entrepreneurial quest.

Being an entrepreneur was not my childhood dream, it was not something I even expected to be doing when I was 18, 21, 25 or even 28 when I became self employed.  I became an entrepreneur over time, and I didn't even realize that I was carefully planning and laying my foundation for success.

If I told you the product lines that I started thinking of initially, versus what my product lines are now, you may be surprised that they are much different.  Although one of those products became my focus, not all of them stood the test of time.  Be open to letting ideas go along the way.  Not every idea you think of needs to become your business.

When I started my business in 2005, ecommerce shopping was a much different place, and creating a shopping cart on a website was an incredibly laborious task.  Luckily today, that has changed and there are many options for websites that can be set up quickly and look professional. 

You may be wondering; do I need a website?  Yes, you do.  In this world we live in, people do not want to make phone calls and need a place to easily find you on the internet.  At minimum you need a page that tells people what you do, answers the most common questions, and how to contact you.   All these things can be done low or no cost, and with very little time. 

Although a snappy website may not be the most important item on your list, if you cannot easily write a sentence describing what you sell.  So, before you get excited about making a website, spending time thinking about exactly what you are going to sell, and who you are going to sell it to, is where you need to start.

A little about me ... I have been self employed since 2003, with a couple of stints of working in the private sector, part time.  I fell into being self employed after the company I was working for closed all their local offices, and ultimately, I was hired as a contractor working remotely.  I started my first handmade business in 2005 with my own website and doing craft shows.  I opened shop on Etsy in June 2008, in addition to my own website, and have tried many different selling platforms.  Every selling platform has its strengths and weaknesses, but the basic needs of an entrepreneur setting up on these sites is the same.  I now run two different handmade businesses (since 2005 and 2015) and consult other entrepreneurs (since 2013).  There are several other opportunities that I have tried along the way, however, these three have been the ones that have become my focus and provide me with the most joy.  This group and blog were born out of my consulting business as I have found the needs and questions from entrepreneurs all have similarities.

I believe that everyone can be a successful entrepreneur, if they recognize the most important things in entrepreneurship.  Lots of people incorrectly think that having a great product or service is the key to a successful business.  However, I have seen over and over, people with excellent products and services fail, while others with less desirable products and services are very successful.

To be a successful entrepreneur, you need to have a willingness to learn, a willingness to research, a willingness to recognize when things are not working, and a willingness to adapt to the changing marketplace. 

If you want to be an entrepreneur and you have all those things, tomorrow we will begin with   product lines and developing those ideas.  If you already have a product you are selling, stay with us, because there will be information there for you too!  And if you are a blogger or selling services, you will find out why you also need to follow this product line plan.  If at any time you would like more personalized advice, please feel free to contact me, I am always willing to work with people despite monetary challenges.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slowdowns and Slumps - When to freakout, When to take action, and What to do about it - Etsy Stats

This week I am talking about Slumps and Slowdowns ... how to know if you are really in a slump or slowdown, when to freak out, and what to do about it! Today is all about analyzing stats.  Over and over I have witnessed people freaking out about slowdowns because their stats are down from a day ago, a week ago, and a month ago ... but just this is not enough information to know if you are really experiencing a slowdown.  Retail sales are cyclical, and you need to know your cycles.  If you cannot deal with the natural cycles in your business, then you need to develop a new product line that will work opposite those cycles in your current business.  Trying to even out cycles in your current business is much harder than creating a product line that you market to a different market to fill in slow cycles.  Also note, that cycles in business will fluctuate year to year, and your sales should be increasing during these cycles year to year.  Although as your business grows, you may also fin

a woman with a buisness podcast launch - Conversation with Christen Strang of Letterhappy

To view the podcast - Part A:  https://anchor.fm/awomanwithabusiness/episodes/Conversations-with-Etsy-Seller-Christen-Strang-Part-A-e1qogk   Part B:   https://anchor.fm/awomanwithabusiness/episodes/Conversations-with-Etsy-Seller-Christen-Strang-Part-B-e1qoji Christen Strang: http://Letterhappy.com http://Letterhappy.etsy.com http://happytatts.etsy.com I'm so happy to bring you this first podcast!  Christen is an amazing friend and talented artist and amazingly successful Etsy seller!  Listen to our conversation about business, side gigs, and Etsy! 

Managing your expectations - part 4

Managing the expectations of you and your business is a tricky thing ... I would say that this is more of a problem when you are new and just starting and have a list of things a mile long.  However, after 13 years, I can tell you that I still have days when I feel completely overwhelmed and have to wrangle in the expectations of myself. Do one thing at a time.  The idea of being able to work at home for yourself is very romantic ... you can have laundry going, the dishwasher going, the kids playing a board game in the other room, all while working away on your business like a boss!  What really happens is, you throw in a load of laundry, and it sits in the washing machine wet for 6 hours because you forgot it, requiring it to be washed again.  You start loading the dishwasher, but the phone rings and the kids drop the board game, causing 250,000 cards and dice and pieces to scatter down the stairway.  The dog throws up, the power goes out, and you realize that you don't have a c